CARROLLTON, Ga. - The West Georgia Wolves picked up the first victory of the 2017 season on Saturday afternoon in St. Petersburg, Fla. at the Eckerd Volleyball Classic. The Wolves blasted Kentucky Wesleyan 3-0 following a 3-1 loss earlier in the day to St. Edward's.

Game 1 - St. Edwards 3, Wolves 1
Freshman Anjelina Webb and sophomore Faith Pearson each had three kills in the opening set of the day, but St. Edwards out-hit the Wolves by a .333 to .065 margin in the set, taking a 1-0 lead in the match with a 25-11 victory. 

Sophomore McKenna Wharton came on strong in the second set, delivering on five kills as the Wolves tied the match up with a 26-24 victory. West Georgia opened up the set with a 10-6 run and led by as many as seven points in the early part of the set. St. Edward's caught the Wolves at 22-22, but West Georgia outraced to the finish by a 4-2 count to take the win. 

The third set was most unkind to West Georgia, as St. Edward's outhit the Wolves 14-2 in kills in the set, takinig a 25-8 victory to move to 2-1 in the match. In the fourth and final set, Webb and Wharton each had three kills, but it wasn't enough as the Wolves took the loss 3-1. 

Game 2 - West Georgia 3, Kentucky Wesleyan 0
West Georgia hit .310 as a team with sophomore Madi Fleming playing the bulk of the game at setter as the Wolves powered past Kentucky Wesleyan for the first victory of the year. Wharton had a season-high 13 kills in the match to lead the offensive effort and freshman Niah Bruce was a power on the front line with a five-block effort. 

The Wolves started slow in the match, as the Wildcats jumped out to an early 16-11 advantage in the first set. But West Georgia woke up at that point and turned up the juice, going on a 14-4 run to close out the set and pick up all the momentum in the match. Webb was the story in the first set, as the freshman had seven kills in the frame to lead the Wolves to victory. 

West Georgia never looked back at that point, blasting out to a 22-8 lead in the second set, then cruising to a 25-15 victory to take a 2-0 lead in the match. The kills were more spread out in the set, with Wharton leading the way with four, followed by Pearson with three and Webb with two. 

In the third set, the two teams stayed close early in the frame, as the Wolves and Wildcats were tied at 12-12. But then Wharton and the Wolves turned on the jets, as the sophomore had seven kills and led the Wolves to another big closing run, this time at 13-6 to close out the match. 

The Wolves return to action next Friday in Louisville, Ken., taking on the field in four matches at the Bellarmine Invitaitonal. The first match of the weekend is at 9 AM on Friday morning against Trevecca Nazarene.