CARROLLTON, Ga. – The West Georgia Wolves rode an outstanding performance from the pitching staff on Saturday afternoon all the way to a three-game sweep of the Lee Flames in Gulf South Conference play. The Wolves took a 3-1 victory in the opener, then scored two runs in the bottom of the seventh and final inning of the series to take a 2-1 victory.

After a 13-run outburst from the West Georgia on Friday was clutch, but it was the pitching on Saturday that stole the show. The Wolves’ staff allowed just two runs in 16 innings of work in the doubleheader, allowing the offense to score two runs in an inning late in both games to take the sweep.

Greyson McLeod got the ball as the starting pitcher in Game 1 on Saturday afternoon, and the junior from Valdosta was lights out for the first three innings, allowing just two baserunners as the Wolves built a 1-0 lead in that span.

Cade Marlowe got things going for the Wolves in the top of the second, opening the frame with a single, followed by a stolen base to move into scoring position. Later in the inning, Tucker Breen delivered a two-out single, scoring Marlowe and giving West Georgia the first lead of the day. The score stayed in that same spot until the bottom of the 4th, when Lee scored its first run of the afternoon.

McLeod kept the Flames off balance for the remainder of the afternoon, giving his offense the chance to score the go-ahead run. The Wolves threatened in the top of the 8th, but one of the rarest plays in baseball, a triple play, spoiled the chance.

In the sixth, however, the Wolves got all they needed, as Brian Dansereau led off the inning with a single, then moved to second on a sacrifice bunt from Ben Utley. Cade Marlowe singled, then Price Peters doubled, giving West Georgia a 2-1 lead. Gabe Wurtz then had a pinch-hit sacrifice fly, scoring Marlowe and giving the Wolves a commanding 3-1 lead. McLeod threw 102 pitches in the game, and after allowing a runner on to start the ninth, Dalton Reagin came on in relief, needing just four pitches to induce a double play to end the game.

Marlowe was 3-for-4 in the game with two runs scored to lead the UWG offensive. Breen and Joseph Hill were each 2-for-4 on the day to close out the players with multiple hits. McLeod went 8.1 innings, striking out eight batters and allowing a run on five hits to pick up his fourth win of the year. Reagin got the save, his fifth of the season.

In the second game, Andres Fernandez went toe-to-toe with Lee starter Pat Morrow, as the two teams went into the top of the seventh inning with the Flames leading 1-0. Hill led off the inning with a single, then moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. Nick Poskey singled, then Wurtz reached on a fielder’s choice, allowing Hill to score the tying run. Dansereau singled with two outs in the inning, making it 2-1 heading to the bottom of the seventh.

Reagin came on in relief in the sixth, and head coach Skip Fite brought on Wes Bucher in the seventh. Bucher was able to get two outs in the inning, but also walked two, and Fite turned to Drew Hayles. The first batter Hayles faced was a hit batsman, loading the bases. Hayles then struck out the final batter of the game to preserve the victory and pick up the save. Reagin picked up the win, moving to 3-2 on the year.

West Georgia moves to 27-16 on the year and 14-13 in Gulf South Conference play. Lee falls to 23-23 overall this season and 14-12 agai