MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The West Georgia Wolves soccer team remained perfect on the weekend and in Gulf South Conference play with a 4-1 road defeat of Auburn Montgomery on Sunday afternoon.
How It Happened
- Jazmine Santiago gave the Wolves an early lead, burying a pass from Morgan Haase into the back of the net in the 15th minute.
- Just six minutes later, AUM’s Allison McCrimon tied things up with a goal of her own.
- In the 38th minute, Madison Cobb put the Wolves back on top, netting her first goal of the season on an Alexis Lewis assist. The goal gave the Wolves a 2-1 lead into halftime.
- West Georgia added a third goal in the 57th minute, as Katie Drittler connected on a pass from Julia Atenza, giving the Wolves a two-goal advantage with just over 30 minutes of regulation left.
- The final goal of the game came from Hillary Resendiz in the 83rd minute. Haase picked up the assist, her second of the contest.
- Sophomore Keeper Jackie Donaldson recorded seven saves on the afternoon, increasing her season total to 48.
Beyond the Box Score
- Santiago and Cobb both netted the second goals of their careers while freshmen Drittler and Resendiz each scored the first of their respective careers.
- Haase recorded the first multi-assist game of the season and the first since Katie Mitchell against VSU on October 15, 2017.
From the Head Coach
“We had a great team performance today, with players coming off the bench and making a huge impact. We can take a lot of positives from the weekend but we also need to understand where and how we were exposed at times when we allowed goals to be scored on us. We are proud of the girls to get two wins on the road in the opening weekend of conference play and will enjoy being at home next week for the first time this season.” – Stacey Balaam
- West Georgia improves to 2-2-2 on the season, and 2-0 in league play.
- AUM fell to 0-3 on the season and dropped their second GSC game of the young season.
Up Next: The Wolves come home for four straight games, beginning with the home opener against fourth-ranked West Florida on Friday, September 21. Kickoff for that game is set for 5 p.m.