CARROLLTON, Ga. – An early goal was the narrow difference on Friday night as the UWG soccer team fell to fourth-ranked West Florida 1-0 in the 2018 home opener on Friday night at University Field.
How It Happened
- The Argos converted their lone goal from a set piece as Sam Waarum sent in the corner kick, finding the head of Jessica Quixley who found the back of the net in the fourth minute.
- West Florida kept the Wolves’ chances to a minimum, as UWG had just three shots.
- The Wolves had a real chance to equalize late in the game, but Jazmine Santiago’s attempt went wide.
- Jackie Donaldson finished the contest with five saves.
- The Wolves drop their first Gulf South Conference game of the season, falling to 2-1 in league play. Overall, the Wolves now sit at 2-3-2.
- Fourth-ranked West Florida improves to 7-0 overall with a 3-0 mark in GSC play.
From The Head Coach
“We’re super proud of the girls’ effort today. They gave everything defensively, but on the other side of the ball we could have been better and we needed to be a little more courageous on the ball. But the girls have to hold their heads up for what they did today.” – Stacey Balaam.
Up Next: The Wolves remain at home on University Field for a Sunday match with Spring Hill. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m.