CARROLLTON, Ga. – The UWG soccer team fell 3-0 in Sunday soccer action, as the Valdosta State Blazers came into town to pull out a Gulf South Conference win at University Field.
How It Happened
- After a scoreless opening half that saw the two teams play a very evenly matched period, the Blazers struck for three goals in the second half.
- Ashley Lewis scored the first goal of the game in the 62nd minute as she headed in a long cross from Mallory McDaniel, making it a 1-0 VSU lead.
- Lauren Hicks scored the second goal for VSU as she capitalized a bad defensive sequence in which the Wolves couldn’t clear it all the way out of the box, making it a two goal advantage in the 69th minute.
- The final VSU goal off of a corner in the 73rd minute, and this one came off the foot of Haille Patterson.
- It was a very physical matchup with a combined 20 fouls in the contest and four yellow cards.
From the Head Coach
“We lacked discipline today and we just lost our heads. We had a few calls go against us, and I feel like our response to those were poor. We’ve got to keep our heads in games like this, and we can’t have negative responses because I felt that’s when the momentum changed.” –Stacey Balaam
- UWG falls to 4-6-2 overall and now sits at 4-3 in Gulf South Conference play with six league games remaining in the regular season.
- The Blazers improve to 7-4 overall and are now 5-2 in GSC play.
Up Next: The Wolves are back to the road in GSC action heading west to Mississippi. West Georgia will take on Mississippi College on Friday at 2 p.m. before taking on Delta State on Sunday.