CLEVELAND, Miss. – The UWG Wolves soccer team got a much-needed win on Sunday afternoon, snapping a three-game skid with a 6-2 road win over Delta State in Gulf South Conference action.
How It Happened
- West Georgia responded to an early deficit with four first-half goals after going down in the 12th minute as Delta State’s Anna Whitehead connected on a rebound after a blocked shot, banging it off the post for an early Lady Statesmen lead.
- Less than a minute later, Katie Mitchell scored the first goal of the game as she took Jazmine Santiago’s pass and buried it into the back of the net.
- Santiago assisted the second UWG goal, this one scored by Sadie Prince, to give UWG their first lead of the game in the 14th minute.
- The third goal came from Santiago herself as she used a pass from Mitchell this time to stretch the lead to 3-1 in the 35th minute.
- Late in the half, Hillary Resendiz scored on an unassisted goal, her fourth of the season.
- Prince added her second of the game in the 51st minute to make it 5-1, Wolves early in the second period. Katie Mitchell picked up her second assist of the game as well.
- Nikki Conte scored the final goal of the game for UWG, scoring from 30 yards out in the top left corner, making it 6-2 in the 56th minute.
- The Lady Statesmen got a second goal late in the game to account for the 6-2 final.
- Jackie Donaldson made four saves in the win.
Beyond The Box Score
- The Wolves improved to 12-1 all-time against Delta State with the win.
- Katie Mitchell’s goal moved her to a fourth-place tie in career goals with 15. Her pair of assists gives her 18 in her career and is now three off the current record of 21, held by Samantha Jones.
- Jazmine Santiago takes the team lead in assists as she now has four on the season after a two-assist performance on Sunday.
- Resendiz keeps her lead in team goals as the freshman now has four on the season.
- The Wolves improve to 5-7-2 on the season and now sit at 5-4 in GSC play with four games remaining in the regular season.
- Delta State now sits at 6-6-1 overall with a 3-5 record within league play.
Up Next: The Wolves return home for their final homestand of the season next weekend. The action begins on Friday at 5 p.m.