CARROLLTON, Ga. – A second half comeback was all for naught on Saturday afternoon as the UWG men’s basketball team fell 92-99 in overtime to the North Alabama Lions at The Coliseum.


Facing an 11-point deficit at halftime, the Wolves came back and led late, but after the Lions tied things up at the end of regulation, the Wolves fell in a heartbreaker in Gulf South Conference action.


UNA used 40 points in the paint, and a solid night shooting to drop the Wolves as UWG fell to 7-8 on the year and 2-6 in GSC play. The Lions went to 8-7 overall and 3-5 in league play.


The Lions began the game on an 8-0 run before Marquill Smith put the Wolves on the board at the 17:02 mark of the opening half. The Wolves then got the deficit down to two on a Paul Turner layup as we entered the under-12 media timeout.


UNA shot the ball at a 50 percent clip from the field in the opening half, building as much as a 15-point lead with just under four minutes left in the half. A Steven Ross three-pointer with 20 seconds left in the period cut the North Alabama lead to 11 at the halftime break.


West Georgia came out in the second half, and quickly went to work, going 5-of-9 in the first four minutes of the period to cut it down to a 47-43 deficit at the first media timeout of the second.


From there, the Lions stretched it back to double digits, leading by 11 with just over 12 minutes to go. It looked like UNA might pull away, but the Wolves had more fight in them, and they went to work.


Back-to-back three-pointers from long range by Paul Turner turned a 63-57 UWG deficit into a tie ballgame at the 7:01 mark of the period. Over those final seven minutes of regulation, the Wolves never trailed, and led by three with 23 seconds left, when UNA’s Kendarius Smith hit a layup and drew a foul. Smith would convert at the line to tie things up at 82-82.


West Georgia got the shot they wanted for the potential game-winner, but William Sides mid-range jumper would be no good, and overtime would ensue.


The Lions outscored West Georgia 17-10 in overtime as the UWG offense never got back into that groove they were in over the final minutes of regulation.


For the second straight game, Paul Turner and Marquill Smith scored at least 20 points as Turner led the Wolves with 24. Smith scored 22 and just missed a double-double with nine rebounds.


The Wolves are back in action on Monday, hosting UAH in more GSC action. Tip-time for that game is set for 4 p.m.