CARROLLTON, Ga. – The West Georgia Wolves women’s basketball team was one point shy of triple digits on Monday night at The Coliseum, routing the Oakwood Ambassadors 99-65 in a non-conference contest.
The Wolves set a single-game record with 17 three-pointers made and five Wolves scored in double-figures on the night, led by a game-high 22 points from redshirt freshman guard Mariah Holder, who hit five three-pointers on the night.
How It Happened
- Oakwood scored the game’s first points, but after the Wolves converted two field goals, taking their first lead of the game, West Georgia would never relinquish the lead.
- After allowing the two points to Oakwood, the Wolves rattled off 11 straight points, and outscored the Ambassadors 24-7 in the opening quarter.
- The second quarter was more dominant play from UWG as the Wolves put up 30 points in the quarter, and led 54-22 at the break, with Holder scoring half of her points in the opening half.
- In the second half, West Georgia continued to pour it on, leading by as much as 41 in the game.
- The Wolves had a free throw late in the game for a chance to hit 100 for the first time in over 10 years, but came up short, finishing with 99.
- Holder’s 22 points was a career-high for the Hampton native, besting her previous mark of five. Holder finished the game 8-of-14 from the field including 5-of-9 from long range. She also chipped in with five rebounds, an assist, and a steal.
- Zaria Bankston and Edley Drawhorn each chipped in with 13 while Ashley Lee and Kylah Mize rached double-figures with 10.
- Junior Jayda Dooley recorded her first career double-digit rebounding game, snagging 10 boards in the win.
- Tahya Campbell had a good night distributing the basketball, finishing with four assists.
Beyond the Box Score
- West Georgia made 17 three pointers which is a single-game record at UWG, and a record that was held since the 1989-90 season when UWG hit 16 against North Alabama.
- The Wolves finished the game taking 52 three-pointers, setting a single-game school record, and coming up one short of tying a Gulf South Conference single-game record.
- Holder’s five three-pointers are the most in a game since Kilah Nixon poured in five triples against West Florida on February 9, 2019.
- Additionally, Holder’s 22 is the most points by a freshman since Terrianna Cave scored 23 as a freshman against West Florida in 2016.
- West Georgia has now won three straight games and sit at 5-1 overall.
- Oakwood falls to 3-9 on the year.
UWG will be off through the Thanksgiving break with the Wolves returning to the floor at The Coliseum on December 3, hosting Carver Bible College at 5:30 p.m.