CARROLLTON, Ga. – A
How It Happened
- CBU came out attack-minded right out of the gate, as Sinead Tierney banged one off the post in the Bucs’ first chance at a goal.
- But the Wolves calmly flipped the script as they score a goal in the 10th minute as Katie Mitchell fed Jazmine Santiago on a
- In the 19th minute, Santiago did it again, scoring this time on an unassisted goal as she buried a blocked shot rebound into the lower right corner.
- That’s how the game went into the halftime break as UWG led 2-0 and held a 12-6 advantage in the shots department after the opening 45.
- Early in the second half, Santiago completed the hat trick as she scored top left on a pass from Madison Cobb.
- UWG finished the game with a 22-15 advantage in shots, putting 10 on
Beyond the Box Score
- The hat trick was the 10th in school history and the first since 2016 when Susana Abundiz scored three in a win over Southern Wesleyan.
- Santiago now has six goals on the season which gives her the team lead in goals. She already had the team lead in points, and now has 16 points in this her sophomore season.
- The assist from Mitchell marked the 19th in her career. The senior is three away from breaking Samantha Jones’ mark of 21 that is the current all-time assist record at UWG.
From the Head Coach
“The energy tonight was outstanding. We could feel it in the locker room. We even heard them before we even got in there, and I could tell they were ready. So we could feel it going into the game, but I think just the overall preparation this week was essential.” – Stacey Balaam
- The Wolves are now 6-7-2 on the season and sit at 6-4 in Gulf South Conference play with three games remaining in the regular season.
- Christian Brothers
Up Next: The home finale and Senior Day now await UWG as the Wolves host Union on Sunday afternoon at University Field. Kickoff against the Bulldogs is set for 1 p.m. with Senior Day ceremonies to take place immediately following the game.