CLEVELAND, Tenn. – In a rematch of last season’s GSC Tournament quarterfinal, the UWG Soccer team fell by a slim margin to the Lee Flames on the road on a cool and rainy night in Cleveland, Tennessee.
How It Happened
- The Flames put pressure on the Wolves right out of the gate, rattling off 10 first-half shots.
- Only one of those shots got past UWG’s keeper Jackie Donaldson in the opening 45 as Kelsey Yoder broke the scoreless tie in the 24th minute. Avery Engels and Devin Healy picked up assists on the game’s first goal.
- The Wolves trailed 1-0 after the halftime break, but the Flames added a second goal as Mia Hollingsworth connected on another Engels pass in the 53rd minute.
- In the 58th minute, Katie Mitchell cut the deficit in half as she scored her fourth goal of the season on a penalty kick.
- The Flames put 13 of their 25 shots on target with Jackie Donaldson making 11 saves.
Beyond the Box Score
- Mitchell’s goal is the 16th of her career, putting her alone in fourth place all-time in career goals at UWG. The senior is still one assist shy of breaking UWG’s all-time assist record.
- West Georgia falls to 7-8-2 on the season and 7-5 in Gulf South Conference play.
- The win is the 11th for Lee as the Flames are now 11-5-1 overall and 8-4 in league competitions.
Up Next: The Wolves have one game remaining in the regular season with that game set to take place in Rome on Saturday as the Wolves take on Shorter. That game is set for a 3 p.m. kickoff.