CARROLLTON, Ga. – After a 14-day break for the Holidays, the UWG women’s basketball team knocked the dust off and rang in 2019 with a 74-45 win over visiting Oakwood at The Coliseum on Wednesday night.
How It Happened
- Both teams got off to a tough start in the game as after one quarter of play the Wolves and Ambassadors were deadlocked at 10-10.
- The Wolves created some separation in the second quarter as West Georgia outscored the Ambassadors 20-9 in the second quarter to carry an 11-point lead into halftime.
- West Georgia forced 13 turnovers in the first half, scoring 16 points off of turnovers.
- The third quarter was also won by West Georgia as the Wolves put up 22 points in the quarter. UWG led by as much as 22 late in the period, but led 52-32 at the end of thirty minutes.
- West Georgia continued to pour it on in the final quarter, leading by as much as 31 before finishing off the Ambassadors by the 29-point margin.
- True freshman Taylor Brown led the way offensively with a career-high 15 points while another freshman Siera Carter added 12.
- Senior Terrianna Cave just missed out on reaching double-figures as she scored nine.
- On the glass, Ashley Lee had a career-high 13 rebounds to go with eight points.
Inside the Numbers
- After starting the game 3-of-11 from the field, the Wolves settled in and finished the game with a 46.2 field goal percentage, going 30-of-65.
- West Georgia scored 21 points off turnovers and out-rebounded Oakwood 46-39 on the night.
- West Georgia won their third straight game with the win over Oakwood, improving to 7-3 on the season.
- Oakwood falls to 0-12 on their season.
West Georgia returns to Gulf South Conference play on Saturday as the Wolves host Mississippi College in a 2 p.m. tip-off from The Coliseum.