CARROLLTON, Ga. – A vailiant effort against the seventh-ranked Union Bulldogs came up just short on Thursday night as the UWG women’s basketball team fell 49-42 in their return to The Coliseum.
How It Happened
- A battle of top three defenses resulted in an extremely low-scoring opening quarter, as Union led 9-7 after ten minutes of play.
- The Bulldogs, who lead the Gulf South Conference in three-point shooting, opened 0-for-6, and hit just one in the opening half as the Wolves held Union’s high-powered offense to 20 points in the first half, but trailed by two at the break.
- West Georgia had their best scoring quarter in the third as they put up 20 and outscored the Bulldogs by seven points.
- A cold fourth quarter would be the Wolves’ downfall as UWG scored just four fourth-quarter points. Midway through the final quarter, it was a one-point deficit, but the Bulldogs outscored UWG 8-2 over the final five minutes.
- Jessica Brown led West Georgia’s offense with 10 points, going 5-for-10 from the field.
- For the second straight game, A’Kia Harris flirted with a double-double as she finished the night with nine points and 11 rebounds.
- Aysha Harris had a solid night all around as she scored seven points, pulled down six boards, and dished out eight assists.
- Union’s Morgan Martin led Union with a double-double scoring 15 with 13 rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- Despite the loss, the Wolves held Union’s top-ranked offense to their second-lowest point total of the year, and their lowest three-point total, allowing just two three-pointers to the Bulldogs.
- West Georgia now sits at 10-6 overall and 5-5 in the GSC after losing back-to-back games for the first time this season.
- Union improves to 18-1 on the year and won their 10th league game, now sitting at 10-1.
- West Georgia has a quick turnaround as the Wolves welcome Christian Brothers to The Coliseum on Saturday, January 26 at 2 p.m.