CARROLLTON, Ga. – The UWG soccer team could not push across a goal on Friday night, falling to the visiting Delta State Lady Statesmen 1-0 at University Field in Gulf South Conference action.
How It Happened
- The game was tightly contested and even in the box score with each team taking nine shots and each goalkeeper making three saves.
- Delta State had the lone goal in the game with Alexis Hobbs firing one past UWG’s Jackie Donaldson, late in the first half which proved to be enough on a cool Friday night.
- West Georgia had numerous chances in the second half, primarily from Sadie Prince who applied strong pressure against the DSU defense, but the Wolves could not break through, dropping their third straight game.
Beyond the Box Score
- It’s the first time UWG has lost to Delta State since the 2007 season as West Georgia had previously won 11 consecutive meetings.
- West Georgia is now 4-6-1 overall and sit at 2-4 in Gulf South Conference play. The Lady Statesmen are now 4-3-4 overall with a 4-2-1 record in league competitions.
The Wolves remain home through the weekend, hosting Mississippi College on Sunday afternoon in a 1 p.m. contest from University Field.