CARROLLTON, Ga. - The first overtime game of the 2019-20 season came early for the West Georgia Wolves, as the finale of the Gulf South/Sunshine State Conference Challenge went to overtime on Saturday evening at The Coliseum. The Wolves fell just short in the contest, losing 87-86 to Palm Beach Atlantic. 

Junior forward Kovi Tate had a night for the ages, scoring 27 points and pulling down 16 rebounds in the effort. He was one of three players who scored in double-figures in the game, as Kadeim Jones poured in 21 and Oronte' Anderson nearly had a double-double as well with 19 points and nine assists in the contest. 

The Wolves and Sailfish were locked in a back-and-forth battle over the first 13 minutes of the contest, with West Georgia's Kovi Tate and PBA's Daniel Largey trading shots. Tate scored 12 points for the Wolves in that span while Largey put in 10 for the Sailfish. Tate led the Wolves to a 30-27 lead in that time as the Wolves held a slim three-point advantage. 

Over the final six minutes of the period, the Sailfish turned around the score, going on a 12-6 run over that span to take a 39-36 lead heading into the locker room at the break. Kovi Tate had a phenomenal first half, going 7-for-9 from the floor with 15 points and seven rebounds to lead the Wolves. As a team, West Georgia shot 47 percent from the floor in the opening period. 

Palm Beach Atlantic held the lead for the first four minutes of the second half, but the Wolves worked their way back, tying the contest at 48-48 with 15:23 left in the game. The Sailfish held the lead for the bulk of the second half, but a three-pointer from Michael Zabetakis with 1:13 left tied the contest at 74. Neither team could put a shot in the bucket in that final minute, sending the game to overtime. 

In overtime, the Sailfish outscored West Georgia 13-12, ending the game after five extra minutes. West Georgia falls to 0-2 on the season while Palm Beach Atlantic moves to 1-1 overall on the year. West Georgia will be back in action on Wednesday evening on the road, taking on the Benedict Golden Tigers in Columbia, SC.