CARROLLTON, Ga. – Four Wolves scored in double-figures on Tuesday night as the UWG women’s basketball team moved to 3-1 with an 81-69 win over Fort Valley State in the 2019-20 home opener at The Coliseum.
Of those four double-figure scorers, Ashley Lee led with 20 points, and recorded her second double-double in four games this season with 11 rebounds.
How It Happened
- After West Georgia scored the first five points of the contest, the Wildcats of Fort Valley finished the opening quarter on a 21-7 run to lead West Georgia 21-12 after 10 minutes of play.
- The Fort Valley lead got up to 11, but the Wolves kept chipping away, eventually regaining the lead with 4:29 to go in the second. Over the final four minutes, UWG led by as much as five, but by the halftime break the Wolves and Wildcats were deadlocked at 36-36.
- Less than three minutes into the third, and UWG had built a double-digit lead as Siera Carter scored a fast break layup to make it 48-38.
- The Wolves led by as much as 12 in the third quarter, but Fort Valley kept clawing back into it, eventually cutting the UWG lead to five with one quarter to play.
- West Georgia outscored FVSU 22-15 in the final quarter, and hit 11 free throws to claim the big in-region win in the home opener.
- Siera Carter was second on the team behind Lee’s game-high 20 with 19 of her own, and also pulled down eight rebounds.
- Senior Edley Drawhorn ended the night with 16 points and just missed a double-double as she pulled down nine rebounds.
- Taylor Brown rounded out the double-figure scorers as the sophomore scored 13 on 4-of-8 shooting.
Beyond the Box Score
- Lee’s 20 points, Carter’s 19, and Drawhorn’s 16 were all career-highs.
- West Georgia’s 81 points are the most since UWG scored 92 against West Alabama on the road on February 17, 2018. Oddly enough, it’s the first 80-plus scoring performance at The Coliseum since the Wolves scored 91 against West Alabama on February 13, 2017.
- A week after being dominated on the boards by the same Wildcat team in Fort Valley, West Georgia pulled down 51 rebounds to just 34 from Fort Valley.
- West Georgia’s first home win of the season improves the Wolves to 3-1 overall.
- Fort Valley is now 2-4 on the season with the two wins coming over West Florida and then the win over UWG last week.
Gulf South Conference play begins on Saturday afternoon as the Wolves head to Huntsville, Alabama to take on the UAH Chargers. Tip-off for that game is set for 3 p.m. from Spragins Hall on the UAH campus.