CLEVELAND, Tenn. – A five-game win streak came to a halt at the hand of the league’s top defense as the UWG women fell 66-49 to the Lee Flames on Thursday night in Cleveland, Tennessee.
How It Happened
- West Georgia hit two three-pointers in the game, and both came right out of the gate as Edley Drawhorn and Jessica Brown connected to give UWG an early 6-0 lead. The Flames took the 10-8 lead on a three-pointer at the buzzer to end the opening quarter.
- The Flames never trailed again although West Georgia did tie the game twice in the second quarter. West Georgia hung in with the hot shooting Flames and trailed by nine at the break.
- In the second half, Lee pulled away, leading by as much as 18 in the third quarter. West Georgia cut the lead to double-figures late in the quarter, but the Flames closed the third on an 8-0 run.
- It was more of the same in the final quarter as Lee eventually stretched their lead to as much as 20 before UWG cut it to the final 17-point margin.
- Playing without their leading scorer, the Wolves were led by senior Jessica Brown who scored 14 on the night.
- Brown notched a double-double with 11 rebounds on the night.
- Junior Edley Drawhorn chipped in with nine points while Ashley Lee added seven.
Inside the Box Score
- The loss snapped a five-game UWG win streak and extended Lee’s win streak to five.
- It was Jessica Brown’s second double-double of her career. Her first came last season against Montevallo.
- West Georgia falls to 9-4 overall and 4-3 in GSC play.
- Lee now sits at 12-3 overall and 6-1 in league play.
West Georgia now has seven days off before their next game. UWG travels south to take on rival Valdosta State at 6 p.m. next Thursday, January 17.